The IAB Level 1 Award in Computerised Payroll is aimed at learners who wish to gain an introduction to the study of payroll, and gain a level 1 qualification of the regulated qualification framework. Previous experience with payroll is not essential. The course is open to students with no pervious knowledge of payroll, or students who have worked in a payroll environment but have no accredited payroll qualification.
Please Note: Learners who are considering a career as a self-employed practitioner will find the course invaluable as a starting platform, as will business owners who would like to be actively involved in the gathering and processing of payroll data and keeping of payroll records for their business.
What you will study
The three parts of the course are:
Principles of Payroll Preparation
- Understand fundamental employment and data protection legislation relevant to payroll
- Understand what constitutes gross pay for different payroll periods including leavers
- Understand the difference between statutory and voluntary deductions.
- Understand the principles of the PAYE & NIC systems in the UK.
- Understand the information required to prepare and submit an employee payroll record under HMRC Real Time Information regulations
- Understand the internal and external procedures required for finalising the payroll
- Understand HMRC reporting requirements
The theory part which is assessed online via the IABOnline portal.
This includes about 20 short answer questions made up of multiple choice, gap fill, and true or false type questions. It is open book and can be taken in class or at home.
The Pass mark is 70%.
Fundamentals of Payroll Processing
Be able to calculate gross pay for different payroll periods and situations
- Be able to determine the amount of income tax to be deducted from Gross Pay
- Be able to determine the amount of National Insurance Contributions to be deducted from Gross Pay
- Be able to apply voluntary deductions
- Be able to complete internal and statutory procedures for a leaver
- Be able to produce the necessary payroll forms and summaries
This is assessed by an online assignment lasting about 1 hour.
The Pass mark is 70%
Computerised Payroll Processing
This is the practical assignment part where you:
- Be able to set up a computerised payroll system using commercially available payroll software
- Be able to set up employee records and payroll data on a computerised payroll system
- Be able to enter details of gross pay into the computerised payroll system
- Be able to process the payroll
- Be able to back up and/or restore payroll data
The assignment is undertaken in class and lasts about 2 hours.
Once complete, you input answers from your printouts into the IABonline portal and when finished you will be given a provisional mark.
The pass mark is 70%.
When is the course on?
Contact us to discuss what will work with your schedule. Small classes run according to demand.
There are no formal entry requirements for the Level 1 Award in Payroll for Business qualification. However, it is recommended that prospective learners have acquired basic skills in both numeracy and literacy prior to starting their studies in this subject area.
Full Cost = £210 which includes
IAB Exam Fee - £90
Tuition - £120
This course is available for free if you are eligible for the ASPIRE program. Click here for further details.
If you wish to enrol, please click here or contact us on 028 6632 6478
Please Note: We can only accept cash or cheque payments
FRCI will always endeavour to work with you to come up with a flexible payment option